Effective May 1st, 2019
Within our Services, there may be links to third-party websites or applications. We do not disclose your personal information to these third-party sites unless we have a lawful basis on which to do so. Please note that we are not responsible for the content or privacy compliance of third-party websites or applications. You should check those websites or applications for their privacy policies and terms that apply to them.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect personal information about you from your interactions with us and from certain third parties and other sources. We obtain personal information from you:
- through your interactions with us including but not limited to our partners and service providers for the provision of Services, such as, when you purchase or use our Services, register for an event, request information or contact us for support;
- through your system/device and use of our Services. Our servers, logs and other technologies automatically collect system/device and usage information to help us administer, protect and improve our Services, analyze usage and improve users’ experience; and
- through cookies and similar technologies included on our Services.
We also collect personal information about you from third parties such as:
- the person(s) arranging for you to access our Services in order to set up a user account;
- an organization to which you belong where that organization provides you access to our Services;
- partners and service providers who work with us in relation to our Service; and
- publicly available sources such as public websites, open government databases or other data in the public domain, to help us maintain data accuracy and provide and enhance the Services
What Types of Personal Information We Collect
The type of personal information we collect depends on how you are interacting with us and which Services you are purchasing or using. You can choose not to provide us with personal information, but if you choose not to, you may not get full functionality from our Services.
The personal information we collect consists of the following:
- Name and personal data - This includes first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, nationality, date of birth, marital status, gender, employment information and financial information such as income;
- Account credentials - This includes passwords and other security information for authentication and access;
- User content - This includes communications and files provided by you in relation to your use of the Services (including the interaction between you and Emsociety representatives, for example, via emails, telephone calls, letters, or face-to-face meetings and on our social media such as liking our posts, commenting on our posts, private messaging us on our social media platform);
- Payment information - This includes payment card number (credit or debit card), and the security code associated with your payment instrument, if you make a payment;
- Device information - This includes information about your device, such as IP address, location or provider;
- Usage information and browsing history - This includes information about how you navigate within our Services, your browsing history and which elements of our Services you use the most;
- Demographic information - This includes your country, and preferred language;
- Closed-circuit television - if you visit us or attend an Emsociety event.
How We Use Information
We process personal information about you on the basis that it is necessary for the performance of the Services and where you give us your consent.
We use information relating to your use of the Services to build higher quality, more useful services by performing statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of users. We may also use this information to ensure the security of our Services and the website.
Legitimate Interests for Use
We use personal information for a number of legitimate interests, including to provide and improve Services, administer our relationship with you and our business, for marketing and in order to exercise our rights and responsibilities, including:
- to set up and administer your account, provide technical and customer support and training, verify your identity, and send important account, subscription and Service information;
- to refer you to the relevant external agencies for the provision of Services when required;
- to administer our relationship with you, our business and our third-party providers;
- to deliver and suggest tailored content such as news, research, reports and business information;
- to personalize your experience with our Services. We may retain your browsing and usage information to make your searches within our Services;
- to contact you in relation to, and conduct, surveys or polls you choose to take part in and to analyze the data collected for market research purposes;
- to provide any third party, who has made our Services available to you;
- for internal research and development purposes and to improve, test and enhance the features and functions of our Services;
- to provide you with marketing materials as permitted by law;
- to meet our internal and external audit requirements, including our information security obligations;
- to enforce our terms and conditions;
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety, networks, systems and property, or those of other persons;
- for the prevention, detection or investigation of a crime or other breach of law or requirement, loss prevention or fraud;
- to comply with requests from courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, and other public and government authorities, including where they are outside your country of residence;
- in order to exercise our rights, and to defend ourselves from claims and to comply with laws and regulations that apply to us or third parties with whom we work.
We may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
We deliver marketing and event communications to you across various platforms such as email, telephone, text messaging, direct mail and online. Where required by law, we will ask you to explicitly opt in to receive marketing from us. If we send you a marketing communication, it will include instructions on how to opt out of receiving these communications in the future.
Honoring your marketing preferences is important to us. You have the right to opt out of receiving direct marketing and targeted online advertising.
How to Opt Out of Email Marketing
Where we send marketing emails, we provide unsubscribe options for your use within our emails. To update your email marketing preferences, please visit the applicable email preference center, a link to which will normally be included in emails you receive from us.
Even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications by email, we may still send you service communications or important transactional information related to your accounts and subscriptions (for purposes such as providing customer support).
How We Share Personal Information
We share personal information within the Emsociety group, with our business partners and third party service providers, the person providing for your access to our Services (if that is not you) and in accordance with law. Our third-party service providers are not permitted to share or use personal information we make available to them for any purpose other than to provide services to us.
- Emsociety group;
- the person providing your access to our Services;
- business partners with whom we deliver co-branded Services, provide content, or to host events, conferences and seminars;
- third parties that help us deliver Services or act on our behalf;
- third parties where we have a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law (e.g., government agencies, law enforcement, courts and other public authorities);
- third parties where reasonably required to protect our rights, users, systems and Services (e.g., legal counsel and information security professionals);
- any person you have asked us to share information with (e.g., if you upload information into a public forum it is shared publicly).
Your personal information may be stored and processed outside of your home country, including in countries that may not offer the same level of protection for your personal information as your home country. We have measures in place to ensure that when your personal information is transferred internationally, it is subject to appropriate safeguards in accordance with data protection laws. Often, these include contractual safeguards.
How We Secure Personal Information
Emsociety takes the security of personal information seriously and we use appropriate technologies and procedures to protect personal information (including administrative, technical and physical safeguards) according to the risk level and the service provided.
Emsociety provides you with the ability to pay for our Services using a credit card through a third-party payment processing service provider. Please note that our service provider collects and processes your credit card information.
How Long We Keep Personal Information
We calculate retention periods for your personal information in accordance with the following criteria:
- the length of time necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for;
- when you or your employer (or other subscriber providing for your access to our Services) cease to use our Services;
- the length of time it is reasonable to keep records to demonstrate that we have fulfilled our duties and obligations;
- any limitation periods within which claims might be made;
- any retention periods prescribed by law or recommended by regulators, professional bodies or associations;
- the existence of any relevant proceedings.
Email address: [email protected]
Emails should clearly state that you are making a data protection query, request or complain in the subject line to ensure the matter is dealt with expediently. We will strive to deal with any query, request or complaint promptly and fairly.
Updates on Data Protection Policy